Q. How does a DOT decide whether a traffic signal should be installed on a State Highway?
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) 2009 Edition Chapter 4C. Traffic Control Signal Needs Studies. Section 4C.01 Studies and Factors for Justifying Traffic Control Signals, provides guidelines concerning factor for justifying traffic control signals.
- MUTCD, 2012 updates. Most recent edition
The MUTCD newsfeed keeps the news updated.
Each state may also have regulations and policies concerning traffic signals on highways. The following link provides access to state DOT websites:
NTL Reference Librarians provide services for the transportation community and general public. Specific services are:
- Basic research assistance with Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) publications and data products
- Assistance with access to information resources in ROSA P
- Referrals to operating administrations within US DOT
Can't find the answer you're looking for in the FAQs? Contact us for help.