Q. Motor Carrier Name Change


There is a $14 fee for a name change associated with an MC number.

There are several ways to request a name change:

  • You can request the change (requires a credit card) online, if you know your MC (docket) PIN. Select "Filing a name change" and click "Continue"
  • If you would like to mail your name change (legal or trade name) and are paying with a personal check, cashier's check or money order, notification of the change or a letter must be sent to:
    • Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
      P. O. BOX 530226
      Atlanta, GA, 30353-0226
    • For overnight express mail:
      Bank of America
      Lockbox Number 530226
      1075 Loop Road
      Atlanta, GA, 30337
    • If you prefer to mail your name change and pay by credit card, you may mail your request with all the above information to:
      Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
      Office of Registration and Safety Information (MC-RS)
      Licensing Team, 6th Floor
      1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
      Washington, D.C. 20590
  • You must supply the following credit card information:
    • Number
    • Name on the card
    • Credit card company name
    • Expiration date
    • Credit card billing address
    • If your card is declined, we cannot process your request!
  • All requests must contain:
    • Your DOT/MC numbers on each page
    • Your contact phone number/e-mail address
    • Your current address
    • The current company name
    • The new company name
      • If you are a sole proprietor or partnership, you must put your name/the partnership name plus the "doing business as" name, if it's different
      • If you are a corporation/LLC, you must register with the state first, then when you have received articles of incorporation from the state, fax a copy to 202-366-3477 with your complete request for a name change
    • The statement that there is no change in ownership, control, or management of the company
    • If the name change is a result of you having incorporated the company, you MUST fax a copy of the Articles of Incorporation (after you receive them from the state - see above instructions for new company name)

Please note that while you may have submitted a request for a name change on line or via the mail, NO NAME CHANGES WILL BE MADE UNTIL WE HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED INFORMATION OR DOCUMENTATION. Name changes take approximately 30 business days after all information has been received.

In addition, if you change the name associated with your US DOT number (via the MCS-150 form), it is NOT automatically changed on your MC number as well. You still need to go through the MC number name change procedure. If you change the name associated with your MC number, however, the name is also changed for your US DOT number.

  • Last Updated Dec 14, 2016
  • Views 8
  • Answered By David Martin

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0

Contact Us

Starting Friday, September 22nd the "Search Our Collection" function at www.ntl.bts.gov will not be available due to server maintenance. We expect the search function to be back up by Tuesday, September 26th.

How to Research During the Outage

  • The "Submit a Question" and Reference Librarian phone number below will remain open and operational¬†

  • ROSA P, our new public repository, will be available in beta version for searching