Q. New Airline Certification Procedures


Under Title 49 of the United States Code, anyone who wants to provide air transportation service as a U.S. air carrier or foreign air carrier must first obtain two separate authorizations from the Department of Transportation: "safety" authority from the Federal Aviation Administration and "economic" authority from the Office of the Secretary of Transportation.

The Office of Aviation and International Affairs is the office that you need to go through in order to obtain economic authority.  Their web site has a number of resources for those that would like to provide air transportation service.   

Please visit their web site at: http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy.

For more information on U.S. air carrier licensing, please contact the Air Carrier Fitness Division at (202) 366-9721 or see


Office of International Aviation provides information on Foreign Air Carrier Licensing at http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/foreign-carriers.

For more information contact the Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division directly at http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy/office-international-aviation-staff-contacts

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) handles safety issues.  Your best option is to contact your Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO) as they handle air carrier and air operator certification. You can schedule an appointment with your nearest office and get a briefing on certification procedures. To find the office nearest you, please see: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/

Foreign air carriers that want to obtain safety authority should contact the nearest FAA International Field Office (IFO) or International Field Unit (IFU): http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/ifo/

The FAA home page is: 

  • Last Updated Dec 14, 2016
  • Views 3
  • Answered By David Martin

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0