Q. Intrastate Motor Carriers & DOT Numbers


From the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) FAQ:
I am an intrastate non-hazardous-materials motor carrier (my cargo or vehicle NEVER leaves the state that I am registered in). Do I need a USDOT Number?

The answer varies from state to state. To determine if an intrastate carrier needs a USDOT number, contact one of the following:

"     The FMCSA field office in your state: FMCSA Field Roster
"     Your State Department of Motor Vehicles' office of vehicle registration.

The FMCSA home page, with a wealth of information, is located at:

Motor carrier federal regulations can be found in 49 CFR Chapter III.

We've also attached a listing of contact information for each state DOT for your files.

  • Last Updated Dec 14, 2016
  • Views 9
  • Answered By David Martin

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   1