Q. Does the DOT monitor daily trips or movement?
Although we are not aware of any specific data resources which would capture this exact information, we can direct you to the contents of the National Household Travel Survey.
The NHTS/NPTS serves as the nation's inventory of daily travel. Data is collected on daily trips taken in a 24-hour period, and includes:
• purpose of the trip (work, shopping, etc.);
• means of transportation used (car, bus, subway, walk, etc.);
• how long the trip took, i.e., travel time;
• time of day when the trip took place;
• day of week when the trip took place; and
• if a private vehicle trip:
• number of people in the vehicle , i.e., vehicle occupancy;
• driver characteristics (age, sex, worker status, education level, etc.); and
• vehicle attributes (make, model, model year, amount of miles driven in a year).
These data are collected for:
• all trips,
• all modes,
• all purposes,
• all trip lengths, and
• all areas of the country, urban and rural.
You can search within this product at: http://nhts.ornl.gov/index.shtml