Q. Federal Regulations for Highway Signs, Traffic Signals and Pavement Markings


The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) defines the standards used by road managers nationwide to install and maintain traffic control devices on all streets and highways: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/kno-overview.htm

For information about the MUTCD or to view it online, please see: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/index.htm

To consult MUTCD specialists at the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), see: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/team.htm

If you would like to propose an idea for a new sign or changes to an existing sign, please see http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/condexper.htm

FHWA is not printing copies of the MUTCD because of the prohibitive costs involved. Hard copies are available for sale from the following organizations:

American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO): http://www.transportation.org/

American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA): http://www.atssa.com

Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE): http://www.ite.org 

You may also want to consult the related volume, Standard Highway Signs (SHS), which can be found at http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/ser-shs_millennium.htm

To obtain hard copies of the SHS book and cost information, contact ATSSA: http://www.atssa.com

  • Last Updated Sep 21, 2016
  • Views 6
  • Answered By David Martin

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0