Q. How do I import a vehicle to the US?


For vehicle and equipment import information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), please see: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

For more information, please see the following non-DOT sites:  

Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Importing a Motor Vehicle: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Importing Vehicles and Engines: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports

If you have any further questions, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Import Division at importandcertification@nhtsa.dot.gov or 202-366-5291.

Related issues:

Re-importing US Vehicles: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-64185

Form HS-7 "Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft prevention Standards": http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf

List of registered importers: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/.  Click on the "List of Registered Importers" link under the heading "Who can help with importing."

Nissan Skyline: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page10.html

Right-hand drive vehicles: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-11-10144

ATVs: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page3.html#Anchor-6342


  • Last Updated Aug 05, 2016
  • Views 170
  • Answered By David Martin

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0